Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Morning Devotions: Hebrews 13:5-21

Remember to read today's passage before you start.

The Almighty said it to Moses. Moses told the Children of Israel,

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you."  Deuteronomy 31:6  nasu

 
Before he died, Moses told Joshua;
"The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."  Deuteronomy 31:8
 The Almighty himself spoke to Joshua and said,
"No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. Joshua 1:5 
 Y’shua-Jesus told the disciples (and if you are his disciple then this is also for you)
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, " All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.  Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20
He is always with us. Let that sink in for a moment.
 
Whatever you are doing right this moment, He is with you. How does that make you feel about whatever it is you are doing in this moment? I hope it makes you feel confident.
 
From today’s passage we read,
Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," (Joshua 1:5) so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" (Psalm 118:6) Hebrews 13:5-6
 The winter holidays can be a difficult time to “keep your character free from the love of money, being content…” This is the season that every manufacturer and store in the country encourages you to be discontent with what you have. The television is giving a message to your parents (or children) that love is about what WE spend money on for THEM. The truth is, everyone from manufactures to advertisers to store owners love getting your money. They will make and sell whatever they believe they can get you to lust after. Lust is strong in us. It is fun getting and giving gifts, but honestly, it isn’t love. Fun is fine. Love is far greater.
 
Why are we called to “be content”? …THE LORD IS MY HELPER… is a pretty passage to think on. It is also a bad translation. The word translated “helper” and the words translated “to me” are the exact same Hebrew word. It is spelled with two Hebrew letters, “Lamed” (we get our letter L from Lamed) which is a picture of a shepherd-teacher, the one who guides us. The second letter is “Yod” (we get our letter y from Yod) and pictures a hand that guides. These letters make the Hebrew word LIY which is a prefix, but not a normal kind of prefix to a word. Whatever word follows LIY is permanently attached to you and the Shepherd of souls who guides us (his flock) Psalm 18:6 tells us that because of the shepherds hands, being afraid does not need to be part of our life. Psalm 56:3 makes a confident statement, “whenever I am afraid I will trust in You (the Almighty).” It does not say that we will never be in circumstances where we are tempted to be afraid, it just says, when I am afraid I will trust in the Almighty.
 
WHAT SHALL MAN DO TO ME? Because of the Almighty’s permanent attachment to us we do not need to fear.
You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4 
Are you able to live content with what you have in this world? It is more difficult than you might think. “I need that, I want this” are thoughts that cross too easily through my heart. I have everything I need in Messiah, he even gives me the desires of my heart. My desire is not for stuff (that is lust), my desire is for him and whatever he calls me to do. I am 58 years old and sometimes I still get desire and lust mixed up. It helps me to be actively content through the practice of Thanksgiving to the Almighty. I never have to “make due” because I am mighty in Him!
 
Finally,
Hebrews 13:13-16 So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, bearing His reproach.  For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.  Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
 “Praise the Almighty!” Give thanks, do good and give. In the world but not of it. Honestly, He walks with you, guiding you through this world to the eternal life. Be not afraid. Happy Holidays!
Mrs. Hagerty, December 4, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment