Sunday, January 3, 2010

I was gonna toss it out…

Made a chicken dish from the new issue of Fine Cooking magazine (Feb/Mar 2010). It was fun to make but I didn't really like the dish so much.

This was the magazine that was on my case about not making very much of what they sent me. To be honest, there are some terrific recipes in this issue. It was just that I happened to have the ingredients for Orange and Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs. It was extremely easy to make from pantry ingredients. But I really wasn't crazy about the dish. It was chicken thighs cooked hot, then broiled to crisp up the skin before setting the thighs on a plate of rice and glazing with sauce and sesame seeds. But that sauce, oh my goodness, it was SO salty! It was soy sauce and marin with orange zest and just a whisper of orange juice. If I was going to do it again I would use far more orange juice and way less soy sauce.

Ray was cleaning up for me and asked what he should do with the left over sauce. I told him to "toss it out". All three of my guys protested because they liked it so much. Hummm. They liked the whole meal. Here I am thinking that was one I wouldn't do again and they want more. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment