Monday, July 12, 2010

Fishers of Men, Luke 9:10-11

One of the things that makes me go, "Humm" is remembering that Y'shua told his first followers that he would make them "fishers of men". Right after he sent them to minister, he took them to Bethsaida, The House of Fishermen.

When the apostles returned, they gave an account to Him of all that they had done. Taking them with Him, He withdrew by Himself to a city called Bethsaida. But the crowds were aware of this and followed Him; and welcoming them, He began speaking to them about the kingdom of God and curing those who had need of healing. Luke 9:10-11 NASU


The twelve had been gifted with power and authority over demons and disease before being sent out with the challenge to bring nothing but dependence on prayer, to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/2010/07/luke-9-1-6.html


The twelve return and give a report of what happened while they are out there, without money, without a pack, dependent on prayer and the kindness of strangers as they tell of the coming kingdom of God. Y'shua takes them to Bethsaida, translated "house of fishermen". The crowds come after them. And what does Y'shua do? The very thing that he sent the twelve out to do. Proclaim the kingdom of God and heal those who had need of it.


I have read that the twelve must have been exhausted. I have read that Y'shua himself must have been depressed about the death of John the Baptist. I know that when I write it is easy to insert thoughts into a text that are not there. I do not blame the authors of commentaries for saying these things. They actually make sense. But I have this nagging thought in the back of my head that says, they were all energized. The Joy of the LORD is strength. Nehemiah 8:10b and in John 4:31-33 He tells his disciples that his very food is to do the will of the Father who sent him. There is no hint of exhaustion or depression as Luke tells us that when the crowds followed him, He picked right up with the testimony of the kingdom of God and healing.


What is it that makes me "weary in well doing?" It does happen. I suspect that I have a selfish nature, one that cares more about me. I think my "powerlessness" is a source of depression. But am I powerless? What do I know of being a Spiritual beggar? As I considered how I could make application of chapter 9, verses 1-6, I had a difficult time imagining not bringing my "stuff" for my own comfort. That can wear a girl out. At some point I have picked up Martha's attitude, that the practice of hospitality is a lot of work that requires help. Mary chose to listen to the LORD while Martha fussed. I want to spend my 10 minutes in prayer and get on with it. My personal challenge is to become a spiritual beggar and to depend on Y'shua this week more then on myself. I suspect I will be given many opportunities. I want to pass the test. I want to live in victory.


I adore how this short passage ends, with yet another example of Y'shua welcoming the crowds to tell them of the kingdom and healing them. I like getting out and seeing the Spirit of God at work in my life, then watching a master do what I just stumbled through to show me how to go deeper.


May YHVH show you favor as you come begging at his throne today.

3 comments:

  1. Shalom Rainsong,

    Thanks for sharing this post. I learned that Bethsaida means house of fisherman. I was also reminded of Mary place at Yahshua's feet...and that she chose the better part. I was also reminded of the necessity of working in YHWH'S strength and not my own. And although I must come aside and rest awhile (as it is written) I have before me many opportunities to do others good.

    Todah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like what I learned. I learned something about me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good teaching. Thank you. It reminds me of a question someone posed on facebook this week. How would you know if revival broke out in your church. I've been thinking about it and I think it goes along with what you wrote here. We would be hungering and thirsting and begging for God and our agenda would be gone.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete