Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Gospel of Mark, a beginning

I have committed to the study of Mark for the school year. I've started it once before, there is even a label for Mark on my blog but I am easily distracted. This time I have a "class" of three Junior High girls who come to "devotions class" because it is required. Hows that for an exciting start?
Mark has a nice introduction, good stuff about the baptizer and his connection to the original testament or prophecies of YHVH. But there is something that Mark doesn't have. There is no Christmas in his Gospel. I have read the opening paragraph carefully, no Christmas, no babe, no manger, no Mary, Joseph or any evidence of an inn keeper. If you care to look there is an event that is of far greater importance then the "Christianizing" of a pagan winter holiday.

The event is also spoken of in the opening chapter of Hebrews.
In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.     Hebrews 1:1-2 RSV
The creator of the world speaks. The torch is passed from the last prophet to the Son of YHVH. An earthshaking event that we foolish people do not memorialize with cards, gifts, and twinkle lights. Maybe I have been distracted by the Spirit like a dove. Maybe by the voice or the idea of heaven's doors coming open for just a moment in history. I know me well enough to realize it could be something as petty as Mark's first use of the word "immediately". Get a Thesaurus brother Mark. (sorry, I do think such nonsense). What ever it was, I missed the huge event that changed the world for eternity. The Microphone of God passed from  the last prophet, Yochannan/John to the only begotten Son of God, at the edge of a river, in a crowd of the religious. That one moment changed forever how YHVH speaks to those who will hear.

It is going to be an amazing year!
Deborah (a.k.a MsH)

No comments:

Post a Comment