The only portals of entry into the body are the nostrils and mouth/throat. The H1N1 virus which has now spread world wide...it is reaching global epidemic proportions. It is almost impossible to not come into contact with H1N1 in spite of all your precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not as much of a problem as proliferation … in order to prevent proliferation while you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, [namely, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections.]. there are some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, that are quite effective and can be practiced in a simple manner
1. Frequent hand-washing (has been well highlighted in all official communications).
2. Observe the ---Keep your "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap someone).
3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. So whip it while you are still healthy. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population…. There are saline nasal washes for over the counter purchase
5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. Drink as much of warm liquids as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.
– stay well