Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Morning Devotions: John 13:1-17


Our word of the season is  'esher. It is a Hebrew verb that communicates what we do with endurance that will (or does) bring a sense of bliss (extreme happiness). The same word translated into Greek is  makarios (mak-er’-ee-os) The Apostle John chose this word to describe the feeling we get when we serve fellow servants in secret-love, without fanfare. 

Y’shua got up to serve before the Passover Celebration. He knew who he was, He knew where he came from and the glory that he was about to return to. He knew the suffering he would endure before the glory… and still he arose and served the servants.  After returning to his rightful place at the head of the table, He asked, “Do you know what I have done for you? You are not greater than me… I gave you an example to follow.” Without an announcement, without asking for recognition, serve the servants. You are being sent out to serve because that is what Y’shua did for you. If you understand this then you are ‘esher (blessed and filled with happiness).
     
 "If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them." John 13:17 nasu

I did the math. Only 8% of those that Y’shua-Jesus served in John 13 even noticed what he was doing. One of twelve, the one who did notice, wanted more than he was offered.

How beautiful upon the mountains  are the feet of him who brings good tidings, who publishes peace, who brings good tidings of good, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, "Your God reigns."    Isaiah 52:7 

And how can men preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach good news!" Romans 10:15
Do YOU understand? 

Mrs. Hagerty, January 21,2016 

John 13:1-1813:1-11 Now before The Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. And during supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him, Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper, laid aside his garments, and girded himself with a towel. Then he poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which he was girded. He came to Simon Peter; and Peter said to him, "Lord, do you wash my feet?" Jesus answered him, "What I am doing you do not know now, but afterward you will understand." Peter said to him, "You shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part in me." Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!" Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but he is clean all over; and you are clean, but not every one of you." For he knew who was to betray him; that was why he said, "You are not all clean."

 13:12-17 When he had washed their feet, and taken his garments, and resumed his place, he said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.      rsv

No comments:

Post a Comment