Sunday, December 24, 2017

Psalm 82

 God (Elohiym) stands in the divine assembly. He administers judgement in the midst of the gods.

That is closer to how the Hebrew translation of Psalm 82:1 reads. But what does it mean?

So many of us know Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." A simple statement that seems straight forward enough. Then I come to the account of day 2 when God creates an expanse in the midst of the waters which he calls heaven (Gen 1:8). Wait a minute! Didn't he already create heaven in verse 1? 

On day 4 God creates the sun, moon, and stars. The celestial bodies describe the night time heavens for me. So why, I wonder, does God say He created heaven on the first day? Here is what I think. Creation has two parts, I picture an upside-down Y, or the branches on a family tree. On the first day God created the spirit realm (heaven) and the physical realm (earth) but He only describes one side of the Y. We do not get any details of the creation of the spirit realm but we get an orderly account of the creation of the physical realm. There are wispy glimpses into the spirit realm: Job 1:6ff, Isaiah 6:1-4f, Ezekiel chapter 1, etc. Psalm 82 is one of the glimpses into the spirit realm.

There is a divine assembly of Ben Elohiym (son's of God, of which Adam was also created to be, Genesis 5:1 and Luke 3:38). The Creator, the Most High God is over all. I've come to understand that the Ben Elohiym are stewards of the nation's of men. Ephesians 6:11-12 confirms this idea. In Psalm 82 The Most High God is having a staff meeting to voice how angry He is with their stewardship. He does not tell the Ben Elohiym that they have a 2nd chance to make things right. He judges them
I said, "You are gods, and all of you are sons of the Most High. "Nevertheless you will die like men, and fall like any one of the princes." Psalm 82:6-7
Are we doomed with them? 

They are only stewards. The earth is YHVH's (Psalm 82:8 and 24:1 for example). But what does that have to do with me, besides knowing that the foreign God's are not sovereign over me? God has given me a stewardship. What I have is His and one day I will be called into His office to give an account of what I have done with what he has put me in charge of. How will I answer Him? How will you? Keep your eyes on Y'shua.

Debs in Everett, Washington
November 22, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment