Sunday, December 24, 2017

Psalm 83

 I am, admittedly distracted. There are potatoes to peel, a bird to roast, candles to light. It is Thanksgiving in America. Today's Psalm is 83, an upsetting song about the silence of heaven when it seems as if the whole world is coming against the people of God. Where is the sense of thankfulness in that? 

The things that I am thankful for do not come from an easy life. The most difficult times of my life, days when I didn't have a friend, times when my family was coming appart in the most painful way, days when I lost everything... those were the seasons that brought thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a sacrifice. But what is sacrificed? Often it is my will. 

Thanking God in all things and for all things isn't always about gratitude. Sometimes it is an acknowledgement of God's Way being better then my bright idea.

After the stress of the reality of Psalm 83, the final verse states, "That they may know that Thou alone, whose name is YHVH (The LORD), art the Most High over all the earth." That is the goal of thanksgiving.

Debs in Everett, Washington
November 23, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment